Monday, January 3, 2011

Granola Bars ~

I'm a big fan of homemade anything, and granola bars are no exception!  They are the perfect running-out-the-door breakfast necessity as well as an ideal companion to an afternoon espresso or tea.  {and they also make delicious, healthy gifts}  The bonus with granola is that you can 'personalize' the mix to satisfy your taste buds...

Homemade Granola Bars
{adapted from Ina Garten's Back to Basics}

2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2/3 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter an 8x12-inch baking dish and line with parchment paper. Toss the oats, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until lightly browned.  Transfer to a large bowl and stir in wheat germ. Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees. Place butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the oat mixture.  Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour mixture in prepared pan, wet fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.  Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool for at least 2-3 hours before cutting into squares. 


[Reverie Daydream Images]

29 comments:

  1. Just what I've been looking for ~ thank you! I'll be making these soon.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love making homemade granola and making them into bars sounds even more fun! Thanks for sharing your recipe - hope you had a wonderful New Year's weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had one of these right now. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to make them! They will never be as special as the ones from you....but I'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Christmas a sweet friend gave me a jar of homemade granola, and it was absolutely delicious! I will have to try to make some of these bars-Amelia loves granola or "granolas" as she calls it!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo I love granola bars!! With my new place I need new recipes & excuses to bake, hehe, so I'm bookmarking this post! Thanks! HAPPY NEW YEAR! =)

    Melanie's Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried making granola bars so many times but with mediocre results... glad to have a new recipe to try out, they look amazing : )

    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does it get any better than this...my daughter was just talking about wanting to make homemade bars....yahoo...off to copy down this recipe.

    Happy Monday my friend...a million thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. The perfect recipe to kick off the new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Mel,
    Yummy! Looks like the perfect soul food I need right now!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful treat to try out - thank you so much! Happy New Year to you! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mel!! These are so lovely! I am going to make these just as soon as I can! I'm thinking Wed night ;) I just love granola and especially love that they have cranberries and coconut it them! Delicious!

    Happy New Year to you and your loved ones! Hugs to little crumb! I hope that 2011 is an amazing year for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to a friend's house for a luncheon soon...That would be a perfect hostess gift! Happy new year...Can't wait to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mel, Yum!!! Oh I will try these out for sure!!

    Xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love everything homemade and I often make granola bars. I so need to try this one as it looks delicious.
    Btw: Im so impressed that you are a yoga teacher. I love yoga and I should do it more often. Have a great Tuesday. See you soon:)
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mel these look amazing. A great way to start a healthy eating routine for this New Year. I come so late to wish you a tremendous 2011. I've been under the weather and trying hard to catch up. Wishing you a New Year filled with precious moments, love of your family and many wonderful travels.

    Cheers xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. yummers! these look amazing! and that is saying a lot from someone who only wants to eat fried rice ;). oxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks amazing. I love Ina's cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. gah! ina is my idol! how have i missed this one??? must make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! stunning and I guess very yummy! :) I would eat it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. they look amazing and delicious! so many special treats in this recipe. might give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. mmmmmm those look amazing! Thinking about makin' those as a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  23. these look and sound fantastic! thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Mel, these were absolutely delicious. The salty and sweet made them so addictive around my house. Big thanks for including me in your gifting circle. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i can't wait to try these lovely bars.
    yum!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love Allende and I haven't read your favorite. I'm going now to request it at my library. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum and healthier ! I'll try and yes -2011 we shall meet !
    Love love love :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your dreamy thoughts with me.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails